Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Voting in Egypt


This goes in the “what we take for granted" department, or what we take “mostly” for granted ... since the US system isn’t perfect either.

Things are going pretty smooth with the voting, and people are turning out, lots of people are turning out. I was gone for several days and just returned to work on this second day of voting. I work with many Egyptians and they are all talking about it.

An Egyptian man here about my age, a professional man told me he was never encouraged to vote before and he said it didn’t really matter anyway because it was already determined who would win and what would happen. He said “this is my first time” and he showed his inked finger to prove it. I have heard these sentiments, these words before in print but to hear him say it with a smile on his face brought a smile to my face. 

3 comments:

  1. Very cool Katie, stay safe,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. So they let 18 year olds vote? You mentioned a man about your age... Regardless, it is inspiring that the people are getting a chance to let their voices be heard. How were the pyramids? Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Bobo...thanks for noticing and commenting on my tender age! Still have not seen the pyramids up close!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete