Thursday, December 1, 2011

Walking legs




Cats of the Day

I was told when I arrived in Cairo to not go anywhere alone --- especially if I didn’t know where I was. But I am HERE… ALONE …and ALMOST NEVER KNOW WHERE I AM.

Can’t take it anymore…so… I am getting my walking legs back and walking places. I have been sitting on my butt for the past couple of years behind a desk, and so far that is what I am doing at work here too… so I gotta walk and it’s a good change.

This is necessary too - since it is estimated that only 50% of the time when you get into a taxi in Cairo do you get where you actually want to go. A colleague with a dinner date spent 2 ½ hours and all her money driving around Cairo trying to find a particular restaurant one evening. This is a mystery to me.

Taxis comprise about every other car on the road in Cairo and all they do is drive around all day stalking fares. If you are non-Egyptian you are super-stalked. They honk, slow down, call out “taxi” or just “tax” while leaning out the window eyes off the road, causing close calls and near fatal accidents for which you…. “the stalkee” feel morally responsible.

How could this zeal for a fare not be matched with any directional capabilities? A bit of playing dumb to jack up fares you might say – that would be one answer. In an effort to avoid the smug comforts of cynicism I will keep searching for answers. In the mean time I will keep walking and hoping I don't cause too many fender benders.

Victoria baseball fields

Garden shop mosaic pots


2 comments:

  1. Nice shot of the mosaics, Katie. What have you purchased that is now decorating your 750' square?

    ReplyDelete