Saturday, November 12, 2011

EID - Part 2


It is still going on… this holiday… this festival of sacrifice. I don’t mean to complain too much – I’m a lucky one after all, but it’s been 2 weeks without hot water and now 4 days without Internet.  I have never been one to dis a holiday, but when will it end?

Last night, finally,  the landlords son came and started up my gas hot water heater, a device I am afraid of along with anything electrical in this country. “It is a little known fact that many people are electrocuted in developing countries” I was told on my way to work one day by a physician. As if they don’t have enough to worry about, I thought.  Another little factoid to remember as I gaze at the painted over wires sticking out of the wall of my apartment and the wires poking out of every street lamp you bump into when walking down the street. 


I have learned your secrets and am no longer afraid!

4 comments:

  1. So what you are saying is we should send you some rubber boots to break the transfer of electrons and protect you? Send me your shoe size and I will get them mailed. Is that a pic of your hot water heater? Interesting looking...I hate lighting pilot lights too, even in America. Stay safe my friend, but really the only fear should be of others due to your electrifying personality. :) Miss you! Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been writing because I felt like I have nothing interesting to say to you, you in the midst of such a grand journey. Then you post a picture of a waterheater that looks like a Dalek from Dr. Who sitting under a beauty-salon hair-dryer for robots, and relating fear of random electrocution and creeping malaise in an increasingly claustrophobic apartment. Yes...I think we might now have a level on which to connect, some common bond across these thousands of miles that separate us.

    I really like your blog and pictures - even (and maybe especially) the water heaters, alley cats, and river boats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that is a picture of my hot water heater, which I now affectionately call "Dalek". I sadly have never watched Dr. Who and had to check with wikipedia where I learned that a Dalek is a "fictional extraterrestrial" (hmmm) race of mutants without pity, compassion or remorse - fitting ...and menacing since it hovers above my head as I sit on the toilet. Thanks Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Clayton... too funny the both of you! Dr. Who I had never watched until this year. It is favored by my husband. Very amusing and creative British Sci-fi which I am surprised that Monthy Python's James Crook is not involved with. This series ran 26, yep 26 seasons Katie... where were we that we never saw this? Well, I've seen it now and you are living with it, so count us informed Clayton.

    ReplyDelete