Saturday, October 29, 2011

One week later...


Been having a hard time figuring out how to set the tone...

The 'high' of the first few days of being in the land of the Nile and Great Pyramids was followed by slap in the face reality and work and its been a roller coaster since.

The work is interesting, important, impossible - the people are good. The city is harsh, chaotic, polluted, but the evenings are cool and I kinda like the soothing call to prayer heard over the loudspeaker 5 times a day - depending of course on how close I am to the loudspeaker. 

Being an animal here is something I wouldn’t wish for anyone…dog, cat, horse, sheep, goat, camel. One Rosie probably equals 3-4 Egyptian cats. Coming back as a developing country donkey might be the worst fate of all.

Carbs are my new best friend as they are the most assessable and user-friendly food. 60% of the Egyptian diet is bread. Kushari is a triple threat of rice, pasta, lentils, dry-fried onions and tomato sauce – tasty and cheap but will put you to sleep after lunch.  I did find all the ingredients to make avgolemono (chicken, rice and lemon soup) this evening - comfort food to sooth my soul, which has been challenged every which way in the course of one short week, which I suppose, is a good thing.

If I have learned one word in Arabic it is “inshallah” which Egyptians use and use and use. It means “god willing” and they use it after any sentence that declares anything - such as "your plumbing will be fixed tomorrow - inshallah". I read it as a realization of the lack of certainty of anything in this place. The other thing I have heard most over the course of this week is that we are here in a historic time in Cairo, in Egypt…all measured in “before the revolution” vs. “after the revolution”.  I’ll have to figure out how to measure my own time here.  

10 comments:

  1. Katie!
    So glad to get your blog site to see how you are doing. Sounds like I need to ship some protein sources...send me your mailing address! When I first saw the boat, I wondered if you weren't sleeping on that. So glad to see a picture of a building as your residence. :) Missed seeing you in CO last week - saw lots of snow though. Wishing you a great second week of work. I can't wait to hear more...
    Signed, living vicarious through my adventureous friend, Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul was just here, dropping the girls off here to play after PALS, filling me in on the ups, downs, and all arounds. I feel the urge to give you a comforting hug and a rousing high five... both, but which order is more appropriate? One thing I know for sure is that of all the people I know, YOU are the best suited for this harsh, important, interesting, and impossible adventure.

    Melia and I have cleared the library shelves of their picture books on Egypt. It's proving to be an interesting home-education unit!

    You are an excellent writer, Katie, and I look forward to future updates.

    Hugs and high-fives,

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed you in Colorado Bobo!

    Jen - you and Melia will have to teach ME some things about Egypt since I have only been to work and around my flat in Maadi. Hope to get out during the long holiday coming up - maybe to the Egyptian Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie. I got the link for the blog from Danelle. Sorry to hear things are staring out a little rocky. It will get better - ofcourse:) I am so happy you are writing. I am really looking forward to keeping up on all of your adventures. Take a ton of photos. I am sure it does not seem like it right now but it is going to go by so fast. Hang in there you winner you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egypt like you've never seen it before. Happy to hear you are waxing the facts and looking at yourself and life in ways you never imagined. I think of you, as you know I often do, as I live my life here in Minneapolis.

    Though my life is not too small, (I get to Wisconsin a lot), I've been once again encouraged by you to go beyond. Beyond anything I know for sure and find out what's on the other side.

    I ordered a grill cheese and fries at a fancy restaurant the other day... um... it was not on the menu, they made it special. I didn't tell the server why I wanted this meal, but I guess you know it was in your honor. All the (comfort) grill cheeses you have made for me over the years...well... I'm getting emotional, so I'll stop.

    Additionally, it was to send out my wishes for your swift adjustment, enjoyment and camouflaged awe of your surroundings, your job, and your daily life and all of it's surprises.

    Your comrades in search of the cure as well as Egypt's communities, especially in these historic times right now, undoubtedly are very honored to have you.

    My point? When it gets to be too much, or you just don't know what else to do; remain calm, carry on and have a grill cheese. I'll be having one too. Do they have fries in Egypt?

    Love,
    Annette

    p.s. Please email me your snail mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie
    Your blog is as intriguing to look at as it is to read. Interesting, important and impossible work, with good people, sounds do-able - especially for someone with desire,competence and appreciation. Take care. Can't wait to read more. Looking forward to some photos.
    Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, you made it! The pictures look greener than I would have thought, but what do I know.
    What season is it right now there. If I remember correctly, you are a distance from work. How is the public transportation system and how do you feel about everything?? Are you in an expat community which could be good or bad. How are you being treated and do most speak English? I hope you post often Inshallah! Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fall here, nice during the day, coolish in the evenings - they say its the best time of year weather-wise. Same latitude as Florida - without the retire-ees. But really since I am so lame at converting degrees C to degrees F I have no idea what the temperature is and ignorance is sometimes bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katie, Our parents would be so proud, so I'll say that for them. Your observations so far are very interesting reading. Not long and people will have forgotten all about "Himalaya with Michael Palin". The in place for the vicarious traveler to visit will be this website for now, and later perhaps a serial of your adventures. "Dr. Katie goes to Egypt" would be perfect for the New Yorker. You will be needing an agent soon. I will stay tuned in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear from you big brother and thanks.
    Hate to break it to you but I think people have already forgotten about Michael Palin and the Himalayas and 80 days around the World and Pole to Pole...thought I might revisit those adventures as I saw his book in the community center library here the other day and I loved the show.
    Your little sister

    ReplyDelete